Our McFamily

Our McFamily

Friday, February 11, 2011

We Heart Sugar Cookies

We have a ward Family Valentine's Dance to go to tonight, and I volunteered to bring some heart-shaped sugar cookies.  When I started on them yesterday, it quickly became a group effort.  Apparently I've never learned how to roll out cookie dough, so Marty had to teach me.  And Damian can smell sugar from a mile away, so he was eager to "help", aka, help eat the cookies at every stage of the process.

Rolling out the dough

Cookie cutter

Sampling the dough
NO clue where he got that idea.  :-)

So, tangent, whenever my mom made cookies, she always gave each of us kids a little ball of dough to eat, which we LOVED.  But if we tried to sneak any more, we got in trouble.  In fact, I got in trouble this past Christmas for taking extra dough when we made sugar cookies at my mom's house!  But I think she was just kidding for old times' sake...  :-)  So now that I'm a grown-up, that's the main reason why I bake.  So I can eat all the dough I want.  And so far, it looks like I'm passing this psychological problem on to Damian.  As we were rolling out the dough, I was like, "Look, you can eat this!"  After that first taste, he kept taking more, even out of the dough that had already been cut into cookie shapes.  But I just laughed.  So basically, if we ever have more kids, I'll have to make a quadruple batch of dough if I want to end up with any baked cookies.

Frosting a cookie (after he'd already eaten half of it)


And survey says...

Looks like he hates it, huh?  But this is the face I got when I asked him to smile.  He's so photogenic!  He actually loved the cookie, which became very obvious when he finished the cookie, asked for more, and sprawled out on the floor sobbing after I told him no.  I should have taken a picture of that!  But overall, he loved all of it.  We've got a baker on our hands!  Or maybe just a sugarholic.  We can blame that one on me too.



No comments: